Template by:
Free Blog Templates

Tuesday 28 June 2011

Simoncelli fastest Honda crashes

Another race. Another crash. Another call for Simoncelli to lose his license. Marco Simoncelli was the cause of another MotoGP race incident last weekend at Assen. This time the Honda rider took out 2010 MotoGP champion Jorge Lorenzo.
"It was the first left hander,” Simoncelli said. “I don’t think that I went in too hard to get past Lorenzo. I was third and close to the front two so I couldn’t hold back. There was time though, and I could have waited. I am unhappy to have caught Lorenzo up in my crash and can only apologize to him.”
Simoncelli had similar sentiments after he took Dani Pedrosa out at Le Mans. Pedrosa re-broke his collarbone in the incident, and still has yet to return to racing.
"I am sorry for Dani's crash and especially for his injury," Simoncelli said. "But for me, I did nothing wrong. It was a racing incident."
Lorenzo wasn’t injured in the crash at Assen, and he was still able to salvage a sixth place finish. Regardless, Lorenzo wasn’t pleased with Simoncelli.
“Simoncelli doesn’t want to take me out of the race, that wasn’t his intention. But I think he is not very conscious about the risks in this class,” Lorenzo said.
"I thought he learned from the past and the incident he created with Dani, but it’s clear that he hasn’t. I honestly think that if he doesn't change his attitude he will injure more riders in the future. I'd take away his licence for several races if I was the safety commission, but I'm just a rider and I don't have a lot of power to make those decisions."
After the incident involving Pedrosa, Race Direction summoned Simoncelli to talk about the incident. Simoncelli acknowledged his mistake and said that he would be more careful in the future.
Simoncelli is a fast, young rider, who may push himself a little too hard at times. But you can’t blame him for trying to win.
Valentino Rossi took out Casey Stoner earlier this year. When Rossi went to apologize, Stoner said that his “ambition outweighs his talent.” The statement seemed a little funny when it was directed at Rossi, but it could be apt here.
Simoncelli’s ambition outweighs his experience.
You can check out the crash sequence at Visor Down.

No comments:

Post a Comment